Monday, March 10, 2014

Speak Love

Good morning Joie blog readers! We have a special guest blogging for us today! Pastor DD, from Elevation Chapel in Newton, MA, is going to give us a different perspective on a very important verse in the Bible and how she knows it will strengthen your marriage. Thanks so much for this wonderful post, DD! 

~*~

In my 15 years of ministry, and 7 years of pre-marital and marriage counseling I’ve pretty much seen and heard it all… My husband and I always make it a point to get to know each couple, both as individuals and as a unit. So, this being my first blog post EVER, I thought it would be fitting to open with the best~ what I consider to be the most valuable piece of advice for each and every couple, in any stage of your relationship.

In literally 90% of the weddings I’ve witnessed, this scripture is given as one of the ceremonial readings. Even when a couple isn’t “religious”, this has been the reading of choice for so many. I believe the reason is that this verse is so timeless and widely applicable (also why I’m choosing to focus on this!). I also believe this verse has the power to strengthen and even save relationships.

The verse is 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.


Now, I’m sure half of you probably just skimmed that passage because you’ve heard it so many times! But hear me out… Let’s try something… Read this verse again, except this time, replace the words “love is” with the phrase, “Because I love __________, I will be _________.” Or, “I will not be _________.” as the case may be.

So now for me, the verse reads as follows: “Because I love Max (my husband), I will be patient and kind. Because I love Max, I will not be boastful or proud or rude. I will not demand my own way. Because I love him, I will not be irritable (that’s a tough one for me!), and I will keep no record of being wronged. Because I love Max, I will not rejoice in injustice (or be happy when he is wrong) but will rejoice whenever the truth wins out (I will rejoice when he is right.). Because I love Max, I will never give up on him, never lose faith in him, always be hopeful for him, and my love for him will endure through every circumstance.”


Words are powerful. The Bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue. I truly believe that, because I’ve seen it in so many and experienced it first-hand in my near 18 years of marriage. The words we speak directly affect the circumstances we are in. Regardless of whether you have been together for a week, a year, or twenty years, remind yourself of this verse. Even read it aloud, together… Because when you model your love after this, your relationship will reflect God’s pure and perfect love.

Love & Blessings,

Pastor DD

No comments:

Post a Comment