Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Great Old Hymns...


Hymns. Some people love them, and some people go off to "Lala Land" when the organ starts playing. Often we are so caught up in the sound of today's modern worship band that we forget many of these "old-time" praise and worship songs. However, I strongly encourage you not to knock them. See many of them proclaim a truth and reverence for our Savior that is completely lost in many Contemporary Christian Artists. Many Christian artists just sound as if they are trying to be like the rest of the music industry, when in fact we are called to do the exact opposite. 

"And be not conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God." -Romans 12:2 (KJV)

In many modern-day Christian songs, the name of the Lord is not even mentioned and the song can easily be mistaken for any ordinary love song about a man or woman. Or if God is mentioned, the song is so superficial it's like any other country song on the market today. 

I want songs to bring me closer to God. I want songs to bring me on my knees and weeping. I'm not saying that listening to these other Christian songs is wrong in anyway, however, when I worship my Savior I want the lyrics to dig down deep and change me.

So the next time that your church decides to worship God with a hymn, or your iPhone starts playing one of those "old-timers songs" don't just skip it. Listen to the lyrics, not the music (if that bothers you).  Make sure that it aligns with scripture (since we should be doing that with any song or sermon, in the first place). And lastly give praise and worship to our heavenly Father, who is worthy beyond measure.

P.S. There is an excellent resource that I just learned about, a book series titled, Then Sings My Soul, by Robert J. Morgan. He goes into depth about the theology and life stories behind numerous hymns. I highly encourage you to look up back stories of hymns so you can see how hymns are still relatable to today's society. 

-Taryn 


No comments:

Post a Comment