Thursday, May 7, 2015

Thursday Round-Up: How I Sing My Worship

     By this point in my life, it shouldn't be surprising to me that my most intimate moments with God always fall in conjunction with music. I've fueled a passion for singing for years and years, and now make a living leading music for the local church. A deep love for music inhabits my soul and yet I can find myself at times dissatisfied with the offerings of the pop-Christian music industry. Confession: I don't always love the newest Chris Tomlin track or the latest Hillsong album. Gasp! Does their music proclaim truth? Yes. Does it honor God? Yes. Does it at times sound formulaic and repetitive? Oh yes. Obviously what's most important are the first two questions, right? I totally agree. But there are times, in my own personal worship and when planning services for the church, when I'm left wanting more than synth-heavy, sing-at-the-top-of-my-lungs, overly-climactic bridge type songs. Sometimes, I want something quieter. Possibly something less emotionally charged. Maybe even a fresh arrangement of an old hymn. 

     Of course, there are endless ways to worship the Lord through song and there isn't one right way to do it. Chris Tomlin and Hillsong have given us an incredible worship music repertoire that is going to bless future generations forever, and I am extraordinarily grateful for the way God is using them to honor Him. Today though, I'd love to leave you with some incredible worship songs that aren't necessarily fitting into the CCM mold. I hope these are refreshing for you and bring you close to the God who is worthy of all our praise. 

1. Only Name - We the Union


2. Blessed Assurance - Elevation Worship
(Granted, this has an epic bridge, but the fresh rendition of the beloved hymn is beautiful.)


3. Though You Slay Me - Shane and Shane
(An incredible song to teach a congregation in response to tragedy and suffering.)


4. Run To You - The Ember Days


5. Tis So Sweet - Jadon Lavik


6. Out of Hiding - Steffany Gretzinger
(This. Don't just listen to it once. It's life-changing, friends.) 



     These 6 songs are just a snippet of the music that's constantly being created out of love for God. You can check out the albums associated with each song to see the beauty these artists have produced as a reflection of God's grace. For some equally amazing (but notably less congregational) music, check out Josh Garrels, Andrew Ripp, Audrey Assad, and Shawn McDonald. 

Happy music listening to y'all!
~ Sarah Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment