Monday, September 15, 2014

{Devotional} Count It All Joy

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

     James' words strike a powerful chord in my life. I don't often look at the challenges I'm facing as occasions for joy. It's much easier to pout over them and play the victim when things don't go my way. But I think James has a solid argument here - one that we should heed throughout the entirety of our lives. 
     Friends, joy is not equal to happiness. James is not saying that we need to be happy in whatever circumstances life throws at us. Rather, he is commanding us to be JOYFUL. What is joy, then? I believe Paul tells us convincingly in Philippians 4:11-13. 
"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
     I don't think Paul was happy while he was in prison. I'm sure that Paul was not happy when he was tortured and chased out of cities and hunted down. Although his life was filled with trial, Paul wasn't focused on his momentary troubles. He was able to cling to joy because Christ was in Him. His strength did not come from temporal emotions such as happiness or sadness. His strength came from contentedness in the truth of the gospel. His strength came from joy. And His joy came directly from Christ. 
     Our joy needs to flow out of connectedness to Jesus. If it is found in anything else, it will not stand the test of trial. One of my favorite Scripture passages is Joshua 1:9. The Lord commands Joshua to be strong and courageous, not because he has the propensity for those qualities in and of himself, but because the Lord does and is with him wherever he goes!
     It is Christ in us that makes us joyful and strong and courageous. We truly can do and be all things through Him - only Him.
<3 sarah elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment