Thursday, July 3, 2014

I may be loveless, but I'm definitely not dead.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on my personal blog (you can check it out here) on a subject very close to my heart: singleness. I'd like to reprise that this morning for y'all. Check out below what I believe so many single girls want to tell those of you who are happily dating, engaged or married. A little anecdote to start us off: 

Me, Sarah, and Imani at the wedding

My friend Imani recently traveled back to the States from the DR (where she is tirelessly and faithfully serving the Lord with Makarios International) for a wedding of a close friend of ours. We were both bridesmaids and had a fabulous weekend wine touring, catching up with old friends, making new friends, and talking about boys. We’re girls, after all. I had my eye on a cute one who got snatched from my grasp (I’m definitely giving myself too much credit) by an altogether too attractive bombshell at the reception. I certainly wasn’t devastated since I’d literally known the man for a day, but it was annoying regardless. In her sweet way of delivering pointed questions, Imani asked me a few days later how I was feeling about the whole situation. My partly authentic and partly sarcastic answer was the following: “Oh it’s okay. I literally knew him for 3 hours. My life will not end. I’ll be loveless but not dead. Haha.” Then we both proceeded to laugh about how that last phrase describes our lives up to this point perfectly. 

Cue the blog title! I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to write about my lackluster love life. Really though, I think my comment has something genuine to say about those of us who continue to live the single life faithfully as unto the Lord. And I’m not going to rant on and on about this, but I think it’s worth saying. 

JUST BECAUSE I’M 24 YEARS OLD AND SINGLE DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH ME. It means that I have friends who are too attractive. I need new ones. Preferably plain ones who aren’t blonde or tall or human. (I’m kidding, don’t worry). Friends, I am loveless, but I am definitely not dead. My interpretation: just because I am single and ready to mingle yet mingling without success does not mean that I am failing at life. In fact, there are a lot of things happening in my life that I am excited about – they just don’t happen to be my engagement, my wedding or my future children. Those things are wonderful and I am more than happy to celebrate those things with my friends and family, but I am not deficient because they aren’t happening to me yet. 

I don’t want this to sound rude or overzealous. And I’m partly still trying to convince myself that everything I just wrote in that last paragraph is true. I wanted to write about this because it is a struggle in my life right now and one that I have to continually surrender to the Lord. I am learning to trust that my singleness has a purpose. I am beginning to trust that my life won’t be horrendous if God calls me to be single forever (even as I’m fervently praying that it isn’t the case). I am attempting to be content where I’ve been called and as I’ve been called. I want support. I want people to affirm my singleness rather than constantly inquire as to whether I’ve remedied my unfortunate circumstance of aloneness. I want to see and hear and taste more of the Lord in this season of my life so as to be fully prepared when He calls me out of it. 

I hope that all you single ladies out there live it up like Beyonce are encouraged that your life is not defined by your relationship status. God has plans for you which may or may not include marriage. Either way, His plans are good and He loves you. That is enough for me. And I hope it is enough for you. Be joyful today in His love! 

<3 sarah elyse


No comments:

Post a Comment