Monday, July 21, 2014

Making Time to Study the Bible

If you've been reading Joie for a while, you know we like to write 'devotional' posts about what God has been teaching each of us lately. Sometimes it can be easier said than done to spend time with the Lord. Here are some ways to make sure your time with God is consistent each day.

Pick a Time: If you set your devotional time at the same general time each day (morning, afternoon, evening), you are more likely to remember to do it! I like mornings, because I know I'm starting my day off on the right path.

Pick a Place: Have your Bible, pen, journal, ect in a familiar place. When all your tools are in one spot, it's more convenient than running around looking for everything! My husband keeps his Bible on the dining room table so he remembers to do his devotions while he eats his breakfast. I have my Bible by my bed, because I like waking up and spending those first few moments of my day with God. Maybe you have a comfy chair or a screened in porch that you like to sit on. You can talk to God anywhere!

Pick a Scripture or a Plan: Some people like to read through a whole book of the Bible and some people like a devotional reading plan. The benefit of reading a whole book is that you get the whole story of what God intended. The benefit of going through a devotional plan is that you get a little guidance if you're not sure where to start. Either one is great and God will teach you through both!

A good method of study is the SOAP method.

S: Scripture. Read your passage of the day.
O: Observation. Write down what you think the Scripture means and ask God to help you discern it.
A: Application. Meditate on how you think it applies to your life. How does it change you?
P: Prayer. I find it helps if I write out my prayers. It helps my mind stay focused on God. It also lets me go back and read how God has worked in my life!

Stay Accountable: Tell your friends about what you've been learning and have them do the same. Encourage each other and pray for each other!


What have you been studying lately? What has God been teaching you? We'd love to hear about it! Leave us a comment! 

~Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment